Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Wonder called Work

George Bernard Shaw said “When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.” Yes, it’s plain and simple : MORE WORK. Time and again, we have seen that ordinary people, with the philosophy of doing ‘more work’, flourishing in their deeds. Let me sight some examples. Approximately 10 years ago, I had the privilege to visit ISRO and see the construction of the satellite INSAT 3C from close quarters. I learnt that most of the scientists working on the satellite were from humble background with conventional education from universities of India, not from IITs. What I also learnt is that they worked with a philosophy that systematic thinking and hard work (~12 hrs/day) was more important than sophistication and style. We all owe a lot to them because the communication systems, be it mobile phones, or satellite television or any other hi-fi stuff we use in India is due to these hard working people. Over the years, my research career has given me an opportunity to work with various researchers across the globe. I was impressed to observe a professor who had a limited background and was rated average in a particular research field, but through sheer hard work, he accomplished so much over the years that even the experts in the research field were found wanting in comparison to his work. While I observed all this, I read an interesting book TALENT IS OVERRATED. Written by Geoff Colvin- the editor-in-large of Fortune magazine, this well researched book shows that extra-ordinary effort by ordinary people can accomplish some wonderful things. The author notes that excellence come from deliberate practice, and deliberate practice is not just practice for long hours, but a practice with vision for accomplishment. There are many anecdotes and references in the book which substantiates these claims. It’s worth a read as one can adapt many things into their life by understanding work is more important that talent.

India is undergoing a change. The middle class society, especially the younger lot, is seeking an external change in terms of politics and many other things, which is heartening. But in a youthful world of instant messages and fast-food mentality, hard work and patience is compromised by the majority of the youth in this country. It is high time that we seek not only an external change but also an internal one. Then most accomplishments we intend to achieve are only a matter of time and EFFORT. After all, hard work pays off.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is absolutely important to have an "WILL" to put in efforts and practice hard to achieve great results which is called ATTITUDE. A similar example given my Mr. Harsha Bogle in the below mentioned links 1) 1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJhHsUfZFo
    2)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qnA6wXLt8&NR=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Shiva....

    Attitude is the major criteria....everything will follow it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Pavan & Shiva, will buy that book.. :)

    ReplyDelete